Home   »   News
09.11.2014 | SSP News & Releases

President’s e-Letter – Summer 2014

Howard RatnerDear SSP Members,

While it’s sad to see summer go, I look forward to watching the autumn leaves dazzle us with their vibrant colors. I am pleased to tell you that SSP is going from strength to strength. Our 36th Annual Meeting was truly spectacular and the largest ever! We had 963 attendees; 205 of which were first-time attendees! We welcomed 137 international attendees from 16 countries and our exhibits topped out at 58. Many thanks go out to all of the volunteers and staff who made our meeting so wonderful.

Let me introduce the new SSP Committee Chairs for 2014-15:

Annual Meeting:  Mary Beth Barilla and Melanie Dolechek
Audit:  Jennifer Pesanelli
Communications:  Katrina Swartz and Elaine Williams
Development:  Wendy Newsham and Ted Winslow
Education:  Rick Anderson and Mary Anne Baynes
Finance:  Byron Laws
Marketing:  Lori Carlin, Jeremy Nielsen and Anna Tolwinska
Membership:  Anna Jester and Tom Thrash
Nominating/Awards:  Kent Anderson
Organization Collaboration:  October Ivins and Brian Owen
Professional Development:  Victoria Rae and Lois Smith
Travel Grants Working Group:  William Wakeling
Scholarly Kitchen Cabinet:  Terry Van Schaik
Chapters Task Force:  Michael Mozina
Data Access Task Force:  Eileen Kiley Novak
International Task Force:  Adrian Stanley
Organizational Guide Task Force:  Jennifer Pesanelli, Mady Tissenbaum, Carol Anne Meyer

These are wonderful groups that could always use more help! If you want to volunteer, browse the SSP Committee descriptions and simply contact our Executive Director, Ann Mehan Crosse and she will make sure you get connected!

There are plenty of upcoming SSP events for you to enjoy:

Fall Seminar Series, September 17-18, 2014, American Geophysical Union (AGU), Washington, DC.

First up is Professional Development Day, September 17 featuring two sessions:

• An Overview of the Business of Scholarly Publishing
  • Journal Production: The Basics & Beyond.

On September 18, the two sessions will focus on:

• Innovation in Scholarly Publishing 
  • Making Digital Pay.

Webinar Series, October 14 at 11:00 a.m. ET.

• Publishing Services Vendor Integration

November Seminar: The Library as Publisher: Details, Practice, and Potential Outcomes, a Charleston Pre-Conference Workshop, will be held on November 5 at the Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC.

These are sure to be excellent events and I encourage you to expand your professional network and increase your industry knowledge with SSP by attending these timely and informative sessions.

It is my honor to be serving as President of SSP this year. SSP members’ level of expertise, exuberance, and willingness to share always impresses me. Once again our volunteers and Board are top notch. I look forward to working alongside them and the SSP staff to lead us to new heights.

Warm regards,

Howard Ratner
SSP President, 2014-15

View Comments

Be the first to write a comment!