June 23, 2020 – United Kingdom – The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers, is delighted to announce the shortlist for the ALPSP Awards for Innovation in Publishing 2020, sponsored by Publishers’ Licensing Services.
Applications for the awards were open to any new development, product, service or project which is both innovative and of significant value to scholarly communication. The winners must demonstrate excellence in terms of originality, innovation, value to the community, utility, and long-term viability.
The ALPSP Awards finalists for 2020 are:
- Charlesworth WeChat Gateway
- Jus Mundi
- Open Library of Humanities
- Rigor and Transparency Index powered by SciScore
- Select Crowd Review
David Sommer, Chair of the judging panel, commented:
“This year we saw a wide range of applications from across the industry which is heartening given the disruption caused by COVID-19. Integrity, access and reproducibility are key themes for many of the submissions and it is exciting to see new developments in these fields. It is never easy for the judging panel to select a shortlist given the breadth of innovation seen in the submissions, and we look forward to discussing each in more detail at the next stage of the judging process.”
Wayne Sime, Chief Executive of ALPSP, said:
“Despite a difficult few months for the industry worldwide, we are delighted to have received 34 submissions this year, demonstrating the range of innovation and development in scholarly communication. I look forward to seeing all the finalist organizations at the ALPSP Virtual Conference in September.”
All finalists will present their submission to the judges in July. They will be also invited to showcase their innovation to industry peers at the ALPSP Awards Lightning session to be held online on Tuesday 8 September. The winner(s) will be announced on Wednesday 16 September at the opening of the ALPSP Virtual Conference & Awards 2020.
Panel of Judges:
- David Sommer, Chief Product Officer & Co-founder, Kudos (Chair)
- Kivmars Bowling, Publications Director, Society for Industrial & Applied Mathematics
- Ian Craig, Senior Director of Market and Publishing Analytics, Wiley
- Astrid Engelen-Visser, Business Strategist, IOS Press
- Lorraine Estelle, Project Director, COUNTER
- Richard Gedye, Scholarly and Professional Publishing Consultant
- Athena Hoeppner, Discovery Services Librarian, University of Central Florida
- Robert Iannello, Senior Education Manager, ARM Education Media
- Andrea Powell, Director of Outreach and Publisher Coordinator, Research4Life, STM
- David Smith, Head of Product Solutions, The IET
About ALPSP The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP) is an international membership trade body that supports and represents not-for-profit organizations and institutions that publish scholarly and professional content. With nearly 300 members in 30 countries, membership also includes those that work with these publishers. Its mission is to connect, inform, develop and represent the international scholarly and professional publishing community.
About the ALPSP Virtual Conference and Awards 2020 The ALPSP Conference 2020 will be run virtually over three sessions from 16‑18 September, with the ALPSP AGM and Awards Finalists session on 8 September. This year’s theme is the legacy of COVID-19 on scholarly communication. The conference provides a friendly forum in which to share information and knowledge, learn about new initiatives, and engage in open discussion on the challenges and opportunities facing publishing today. With expert speakers, our annual event is for everyone in the scholarly publishing community. Bookings are now open via the ALPSP website. You can also follow #alpspawards on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.