Home   »   News
03.11.2021 | SSP News & Releases

President’s Letter | March 2021

Dear SSP Community,

I hope this finds you healthy and well. In my last letter, I highlighted all the ways the SSP community was continuing to thrive despite the obstacles of 2020. The same is true in the new year. I remain impressed by and grateful for the work of the SSP staff, volunteers, and membership in ensuring that “the show goes on!” albeit virtually. Over these last many months, this has meant continuing to provide educational resources, networking opportunities, professional development advice, and critical community connections. And it now includes quite literally putting on a show, as we prepare for the 2021 Annual Meeting – the perennial highlight of the conference calendar, one of SSP’s most important member benefits, and now a fully virtual experience.

Let’s get one thing out of the way. We are all disappointed to not be meeting in person for a second year and are longing for that time when we can reunite safely. We know many of you have Zoom fatigue and may be skeptical about the ability to network virtually. I’m here to ask you to trust us, and to join us, for an experience that I think will exceed all of your expectations.

The SSP team and Annual Meeting Program Committee have pulled out all the stops to deliver a highly engaging and dynamic event. In addition to our most-competitively selected session program ever, the meeting will provide extensive networking opportunities – knowing that this is what many in our community miss most. The platform will feature real-time chat, persistent discussion forums, and integrated 1:1 video calls. Attendees can take advantage of more casual networking via REMO, with video-based reception “tables” and more. Attendees can also join a Community Group with regular check-ins to discuss trending topics, share experiences, ask questions, or act as a sounding board.

It may not be the same annual meeting as in the past, but together, we can make this a (virtual) event to remember, and still the highlight of the conference calendar. Please show your support for SSP and for this community by registering today.

I’d also like to draw your attention to a number of open ways to make your voice heard and help shape the future of SSP:

• The 2021-2022 SSP Board of Directors slate has been announced – please vote and support our very talented group of candidates (It will be a TOUGH decision, I promise you!)
  • Do you know an Emerging Leader who has contributed to SSP and is deserving of recognition? The nominations deadline is March 24, so please submit today.
  • The Scholarly Kitchen readership survey is will be open soon, and the Chefs would love to hear from you. What do you love about TSK and what needs to change?
  • Have you tried Quick Connect yet? This micro-mentorship tool is a great way to both offer and receive expertise and advice from the SSP community.
  • The Generations Fund continues to accept donations in order to reach its goal of providing long-term funding for SSP’s Fellowship, Mentoring, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs. Every bit counts and annual meeting registrants will be given the option to add a donation to their ticket. If all projected attendees contributed just $20 that would fund an entire year of Fellowships!

Thank you for being part of the SSP community; I look forward to seeing you at the Annual Meeting!

All the best,
Lauren Kane
2020-2021 SSP President

View Comments

Be the first to write a comment!