Home   »   News
10.16.2019 | SSP News & Releases

Society for Scholarly Publishing and Charleston Library Conference Announce Scholarship Exchange

October 16, 2019 – Mt. Laurel, NJ | Charleston, SC – The Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) and the Charleston Library Conference (CLC) have partnered to present a scholarship exchange competition for the industry’s best and brightest. SSP and CLC are teaming up to award free annual conference registrations to an SSP Fellow and a CLC Up & Comer in publishing, library/information science, or related career path. 

Fellows and Up and Comers submit an essay to enter the competition. In the first phase of the exchange, current SSP Fellows were tasked with answering, “How will the needs of emerging professionals/academics change scholarly communications in the future?” Fellow Lynnee Argabright’s essay addressing the influence of emerging professionals and academics expectations of immediate access to scholarly communication has been selected as the exchange’s first winner. Lynnee will receive free registration for the 2019 Charleston Library Conference, held November 4-8. To make the most of this opportunity, Lynnee will also be assigned a “meeting mentor” to assist with networking and navigating the conference.Her essay and the essays of future winners be published on The Scholarly Kitchen and in Against the Grain.

“The Charleston Conference is a huge conference in my field of interest, and I’m excited to be a part of future thinking and trendsetting. I applied for the scholarship because the conference would be an amazing opportunity for me as a library student to meet professionals and interact with them as peers during the many sessions,” says Ms. Argabright.

“I have appreciated Against the Grain’s approach of questioning concepts to recognize what we need to work on and think it’s important to keep having conversations among ourselves and other stakeholders. I’m looking forward to applying what I learn to my social and technical skills so that I can be a more engaged librarian after graduating.”

“We are excited about this collaboration with our SSP colleagues! It is our privilege to have Ms. Argabright attend the Charleston Conference next month. We look forward to working together with SSP in the future to provide even more opportunities for early-career professional development in the library and publishing industries,” said Leah Hinds, CLC Executive Director.

In January, CLC Up & Comers will compete to win free registration for the 2020 SSP Annual Meeting to be held May 27-29 in Boston, MA. The scholarship exchange represents one of several collaborations between SSP and CLC. In addition to the exchange, SSP will host a pre-conference workshop and social hour at the Charleston Conference and co-host a joint webinar in early 2020. 

“We’re excited to be working with the Charleston Conference on this project both to strengthen our relationship and to offer this professional development opportunity for the future leaders of our collective community,” said Melanie Dolechek, SSP Executive Director. 

Learn more about SSP Fellowships or CLC Up & Comers. For more information, contact SSP Executive Director, Melanie Dolechek or CLC Executive Direction, Leah Hinds

About the Society for Scholarly Publishing SSP, founded in 1978, is a nonprofit organization formed to promote and advance communication among all sectors of the scholarly publication community through networking, information dissemination, and facilitation of new developments in the field. SSP members represent all aspects of scholarly publishing—including publishers, printers, e-products developers, technical service providers, librarians, and editors. SSP members come from a wide range of large and small commercial and nonprofit organizations. They meet at SSP’s annual meetings, educational seminars, and focus groups to hear the latest trends from respected colleagues and to discuss common and mutual (and sometimes divergent) goals and viewpoints.

About the Charleston Library Conference The Charleston Conference is an informal annual gathering of librarians, publishers, electronic resource managers, consultants, and vendors of library materials in Charleston, SC, in November, to discuss issues of importance to them all. It is designed to be a collegial gathering of individuals from different areas who discuss the same issues in a non-threatening, friendly, and highly informal environment. Presidents of companies discuss and debate with library directors, acquisitions librarians, reference librarians, serials librarians, collection development librarians, and many, many others. Begun in 1980, the Charleston Conference has grown from 20 participants in 1980 to thousands in 2018.

View Comments

Be the first to write a comment!