Home   »   News
11.09.2011 | SSP News & Releases

SSP Recognizes Key Members with the SSP Distinguished Service Award and the SSP Appreciation Award

The Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) announces the 2011 recipients of two prestigious awards. Eileen Kiley Novak (MRS) and David Smith (CABI) each received the SSP Appreciation Award and Kent Anderson (JBJS) is the recipient the SSP Distinguished Service Award. First given in 2003, and succeeding the SSP Presidential Recognition Award of the 1990s, these awards recognize outstanding contributions by individuals in support of the Society’s strategic goals.

At the SSP Annual Meeting in June, Immediate Past President Ray Fastiggi recognized two SSP members who have been instrumental in pulling together the various components to make the Annual Meeting such a success. Eileen Kiley Novak and David Smith have co-chaired the Annual Meeting Program Committee for the last two years. Under their leadership, the Annual Meeting has exceeded records for both the number of concurrent sessions and numbers of attendees.

This year’s recipient of the SSP Distinguished Service Award is Kent Anderson. Former SSP President Bill Kasdorf introduced the award by summing up Kent’s influence within the scholarly publishing community. “I remember the first talk I heard Kent give; it was articulate, engaging, and authoritative. Over the years he’s become one of scholarly publishing’s most sought-after speakers, and now most of us know him best as head chef of The Scholarly Kitchen blog, unquestionably one of the most important, prolific, and actively engaging things SSP has ever done.”

Current SSP President Terry Van Schaik adds her thanks. “I’m grateful to have seen such commitment and insight from these three deserving awardees. Building upon their considerable involvement, SSP can continue to grow as a credible and leading voice for our industry. It is contributions like theirs that will help all of us in the publishing community meet our shared future challenges. A big thanks from me on behalf of everyone on the SSP Board of Directors.”

View Comments

Be the first to write a comment!