Home   »   News
10.02.2019 | SSP News & Releases

Webinar Preview | Are There Finally Real Use Cases for AI?

Building off the success of our September webinars, SSP is pleased to present “Are There Finally Real Use Cases for AI?,” on Wednesday, October 23, 2019, at 11am EST. Registration for the event remains open with a discount available for SSP members.

In the last few years, a number of companies have come on the scene to tout new or better AI technology and propose new ways of using AI in scholarly communications. This webinar will cover real world use cases of publishers and AI technology, exploring what’s working and what, if anything, one should be aware of when considering implementation.

Tom Beyer (Platform Services Director, Sheridan PubFactory) is moderating the webinar and is joined on the panel by Scott Dineen (Senior Director, Publishing Production and Technology at The Optical Society of America), Laragh Kedwell (Production Manager at BMJ), Lauren Marra (Production Manager at Cambridge University Press), and Tommaso Olivero (Digital Production Manager at BMJ).

Tom took the time to answer questions about the event:

Who is the intended audience for this webinar and why should they attend?

This webinar is aimed at publishing professionals who are interested in real world AI implementations that are producing benefits now.   

Why do you think this topic is important and timely?

AI is much discussed but often the cool factor of the technology takes over.  Many times AI with respect to publishing seems to be a technology looking for a problem to solve.  I wanted to focus this webinar on actual instances where the AI technology has been put in place and is providing tangible benefits.   

Is there a particular topic you’re looking forward to seeing discussed?

The webinar will focus much less on the technology involved and instead will focus on the actual problem the publisher was trying to solve and how they solved it.  Because AI can be used in so many different ways the publishers represented in this webinar are using it in very different ways to solve very different problems.  I am particularly interested in the degree to which the technology helped to solve the problem they were trying to solve and how that solution has changed their business and workflows since the implementation.   

What do the selected speakers bring to the discussion?

Each speaker was trying to solve a different problem and used a different technology provider to do so.  They have been heavily involved in actually making things work and as such have real first hand experience to share.

What can attendees expect from the webinar?

Each speaker will provide a quick overview of the problem they were trying to solve and how things have progressed.  We then will have an extended conversation about their experiences and I hope that the attendees will be active participants in asking questions of the panelists to get the most from their experiences.

What do you hope attendees will take away from the webinar?

I hope that attendees will get ideas for real tangible solutions to problems that they themselves may be facing in their day to day work lives.  Amid all of the hype around AI, I want to help folks find solutions to problems that work now. 

Click here to register now! Thank you to our sponsor, TrendMD.

News contribution by SSP member, Heather Kotula. Heather is the Vice President of Marketing and Communications at Access Innovations.

View Comments

Be the first to write a comment!