39th Annual Meeting
May 31 – June 2, 2017
Westin Boston Waterfront
Striking a Balance: Embracing Change While Preserving Tradition in Scholarly Communications
Scholarly publishing and the communities it serves are in flux. New technologies, globalization, and the commodification of education, among other developments, all pose challenges to those who work in scholarly communications. Of course, change offers opportunities as well as challenges, and failure to embrace change can have dire consequences— sustainable organizations must explore, grow, and innovate if they don’t want to be left behind. At the same time, however, we must not lose sight of the history of scientific and academic discourse, and the core values on which our respective enterprises have been built. Success depends on our ability to balance these seemingly conflicting goals.
This year we will meet in Boston to discuss the ways in which we as publishers, librarians, vendors and academics manage to explore and develop new technologies, business models, and partnerships while also remaining focused on our mission to publish and distribute quality scholarly content to researchers and students.
Paula Stephan, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University and Jeffrey Mervis, Science Magazine
- Industry Challenges
- Practical Skills/Publishing 101
- Product Strategy
- Stakeholder Voices
- Research and Scholarship
- Pre-meeting Seminars: Numerous half-day seminars on May 31st offering in-depth discussions and practical advice to prep you for the concurrent sessions.
- Networking: Attendees will enjoy ample opportunities for meeting colleagues and sharing ideas at evening receptions, interactive lunches and other events.
- Exhibitors Marketplace: Our popular exhibit hall provides a central area to learn about new products, programs, services and solutions.
- Bonus Content: Registration now includes free sponsored sessions on Wednesday afternoon. Plan to arrive early to take advantage of this additional content provided by industry knowledge experts.
Attending the SSP Annual Meeting for the first time? Our first-time attendee orientation video provides an overview of what to expect and tips for making the most of your time at the Annual Meeting.