Home   »   News
05.08.2023 | SSP News & Releases

Ask the Community: The 2023 SSP Annual Meeting

Get ready for an insightful gathering as SSP’s 45th Annual Meeting approaches! We asked several attendees what they are most excited about at this highly anticipated event:

Casey A. Seideman, M.D., Associate Professor of Pediatric Urology, Director of Pediatric Robotic Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University

“As a practicing urologist – I’m excited to see what the world of scholarly publishing is like from the other side (behind the curtains)! The theme “transformation, trust and transparency” is critically important for all of us, and I cannot wait to see how I can cross pollinate the information I learn into academic medicine. I think conversations about DEI in publishing are critical, and we cannot wait to share our work in JU.”

Janaynne do Amaral, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Information Sciences, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 

“As an Early Career Researcher who has more factual and conceptual knowledge about scholarly publishing, it will be very exciting to attend the SSP 2023 Annual Meeting to exchange experiences, ideas, and expertise with other professionals in the field to broader my views of scholarly communication system, to find my voice and to understand how we can work together to improve and disseminate scholarly publishing in times of fake news, science denial, open science, and public engagement in science.”

Jessica Leigh Herzog, Head of Publishing Services, Dryad

“This will be my first in-person conference attendance in years and my first experience representing Dryad. So, I’m eager to connect with our members and collaborators, whom I have yet to meet in person, and I’m excited to participate in sessions that focus on implementation and compliance with data sharing policies to learn more about how we can help support the evolving needs of the research community. I’m also looking forward to sharing our poster that will demonstrate how Dryad’s partnership with publishers can help encourage trust and transparency in the scholarly record – making connections through metadata, persistent identifiers, and interoperability with other systems. I expect the keynote address will also be a highlight – looking forward to it!” 

Anna Jester, Director, Business Development, eJournalPress, Wiley Partner Solutions

“Learning from other attendees and speakers as SSP discusses trust and transparency in this time of persistent transformation is vital. I firmly believe that technology can, and should, make processes easier for researchers, funders, and journals, and conversations around openness are most instrumental when they include sharing experiences. I’m also excited to attend and exhibit at an SSP Annual Meeting held in Portland, OR, and to participate in the 2023 SSP Virtual 5K.”

Sara Tinsley, Managing Editor, Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine

“As a small journal with a very limited budget, SSP has proven to be a great resource for industry updates we otherwise wouldn’t have access to. We’re also looking forward to hearing how other journals/publishers implement new projects or processes and getting feedback or advice on our own.”

Dr. Robert Siemens, Professor and Chair of the Department of Urology at Queen’s University School of Medicine in Ontario, Canada and Editor for The Journal of Urology

“As a clinician researcher and now an editor in chief of our flagship journal in Urology I’m really looking forward to attending my first SSP meeting. As I am learning quickly, the medical publication world is changing rapidly and as I negotiate this with my fellow editorial board members (and on behalf of our publications team at our national society), having an opportunity to be surrounded by such knowledgeable and engaged people thinking about these issues will be invigorating.”

Follow #SSP2023 on social and let us know you are attending!

The SSP community continues to focus on bringing together academics, funders, librarians, publishers, service providers, technologists, and countless others with a communal interest and stake in disseminating scholarly information. Don’t miss out on the deep learning exchanges, networking opportunities, and innovative discussions that unfold over the course of our annual meeting. From thought-provoking keynotes to engaging panel sessions, attendees will walk away with newfound insights and connections. Learn more about SSP’s 45th Annual Meeting and register now!

Already registered? Tag us on social media to share what you are looking forward to!

News contribution by SSP member Ashley Mabbitt. Ashely is Senior Partnership Development Manager at Wiley Partner Solutions.

View Comments

Be the first to write a comment!