Home   »   News
11.02.2023 | SSP News & Releases

Make a positive impact through our Fellowship Program!

Are you a student or just starting your career and want to work with scholarly communication professionals worldwide to make a positive impact? The Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) invites you to apply for its 2024 fellowship program. SSP offers fellowships to students and early-career professionals each year in the first four years of their scholarly communications careers. You can apply until November 10, 2023–details are available on our Fellowship page.

In 2023, SSP’s fellows came from all over the world—a librarian and a doctoral student from Nigeria, a scholarly communications advisor from the United Kingdom, an Executive Editor from Mexico, a library student from Ukraine, three doctoral students in information science from the US, editorial representatives from both a university press and a commercial publisher, and a librarian from Canada. 

One of the 2023 SSP Fellows, Chenyue Jiao, a doctoral student in Library and Information Sciences, said, “I study research data sharing and reuse. I really enjoyed hearing practical strategies for open data and discussing opportunities and challenges in this field.” Francesca Soldati, another 2023 Fellow, shared, “Being part of these thought-provoking conversations made me feel like an integral member of the community, and the insights shared during these discussions encouraged me to think critically about the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.” Fellow Andrea Blatz added, “As someone who works in the humanities at a university press, I appreciated seeing the successes and issues other sectors are celebrating and dealing with.  

Melanie Dolechek, SSP’s Executive Director, said, “The quality of applicants has improved yearly since we started the Fellowship Program. Now that the program is in its 13th year, it’s encouraging to look back and see how much participants have advanced their careers and contributed to the community after participating. Many of SSP’s leaders started in SSP’s Fellowship Program.” 

Fellows receive numerous career development, training, and networking opportunities in the scholarly publishing industry. This includes being paired with a mentor and working in small groups to create a poster presentation for SSP’s 46th Annual Meeting, scheduled for May 29–31, 2024. You can explore previous Fellows’ posters on ScienceOpen.  

In addition, the SSP Fellowship provides complimentary SSP membership, registrations for selected SSP events, and travel assistance for those attending the Annual Meeting in person. Fellows also have the option to participate in the meeting virtually.  

SSP believes in the power of the Fellowship program to support and engage the next generation of scholarly professionals, and we’ve developed the Generations Fund to provide sustainable funding so that our programs can continue to grow and evolve. Consider investing in students and early-career professionals by giving to the Generations Fund to support the new generation of scholarly communication professionals.   

News contribution by SSP member Aileen McHugh. Aileen is a Senior Associate Publisher with the American College of Physicians.

View Comments

Be the first to write a comment!