Home   »   News
04.21.2022 | SSP News & Releases

Why Volunteer?

We are continuing to recognize our outstanding volunteers by learning what drives them to give their time and talent to our community. Leadership development often ranks high on volunteers’ reasons for participating, so we asked our own leadership why they volunteer!

Extending professional networks, making new friends, honing skills, and giving back to our community were common sentiments among our Presidential suite. Current Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) President Alice Meadows enthusiastically shares her reasons for volunteering:

“Volunteering for SSP and other organizations whose work and values I support is both rewarding and (mostly!) fun. It’s a great way of getting involved in – and giving back to – my community, both professionally and personally. Over the years I’ve got to know all sorts of wonderful people, see things from their (often quite different) perspectives, and develop all sorts of new skills. And it’s something everyone can do, whatever your job, age, function, career stage, etc.”

Many of our volunteers participate in our community to find their place in a larger community. Past-President Lauren Kane emphasized the impact of our mentorship and early career programs as a critical venue for contributing to the future of scholarly publishing and meaningful site of leadership opportunities; while President-Elect Miranda Walker expressed the importance of seeing oneself as a part of a something larger and mission-driven, dedicated to publishing and scientific communication.

What about you, why do you volunteer? Tag us on Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook, or send us a note to tell us what motivates you to give back.

If you’re interested in volunteering with SSP, get involved! Learn about the opportunities available with our committees on Wednesday, May 11 at 11 am EDT. RSVP for our 2022-2023 Volunteer Call Out to receive meeting details!

View Comments

Be the first to write a comment!