Home   »   News
01.05.2015 | SSP News & Releases

350 Years and How Are We Doing? January Issue of Learned Publishing Just Posted

2015 marks the 350th birthday of the scholarly journal and is being celebrated throughout the year by the Royal Society. Here at Learned Publishing we are also looking forward to a year of reflection and consolidation. As the new Editor-in-Chief, and with a new U.S. Editor (welcome, Judy!) I am considering how to take the journal forward and build on its current success—and ideas are already forming… However, in among the celebration of the durability of journals within scholarly communication we are also facing challenges, and the January issue of Learned Publishing includes three articles on predatory publishers—perhaps a sign of the times? But all is not doom and gloom, and we have an article reporting that peer review remains the bedrock of journal quality, and one on why A&I services thrive and survive. However, management of change is a key issue we need to face, and we include an article on how the Transfer Code of Practice (sign up now. . .) is stabilizing journal changes for librarians, and one about the Jisc project on the total cost of journal ownership. And speaking of librarians, two articles look at the role of libraries in the current environment—their role in the management and funding of OA publishing, and how library-based publishing is providing outlets for scholarly works. Finally, we also have two articles on the role of the editor within this mix—one on the evolving role of commissioning editors and one the demographics of independent editors. A cornucopia of delights, and I hope you will find several (if not all!) articles of interest in this issue.
 If you have ideas or suggestions for future content, please do contact either me (editor@alpsp.org) or Judy Luther (US-editor@alpsp.org).

Follow this link and sign in as a member to access your free issue of Learned Publishing!
http://www.resourcenter.net/Scripts/4Disapi2.dll/4DCGI/members/journal.html

Pippa Smart

Editor-in-Chief, Learned Publishing

www.learned-publishing.org

In the January issue of Learned Publishing:

Editorial: 350 years and how are we doing?
By Pippa Smart

The library’s role in the management and funding of open access publishing
By Kate Lara

Total cost of ownership’ of scholarly communication: Managing subscription and APC payments together
By Stuart Lawson

Peer review: Still king in the digital age
By David Nicholas, Anthony Watkinson, Hamid R Jamali, Eti Herman, Carol Tenopir, Rachel Volentine, Suzie Allard, and Kenneth Levine

Penetration of Nigerian predatory biomedical open access journals 2007–2012: A bibiliometric study
By Williams Ezinwa Nwagwu and Obinna Ojemeni

Changes in the role of the commissioning editor in academic book publishing
By Francis Dodds

Who are the independent editors, how did they reach their role and what are their associated job satisfactions?
By Alison Baverstock, Robert Blackburn, Marfuga Iskandarova

View Comments

Be the first to write a comment!